SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, March 31, 2014

What to Discuss With Your Photographer Before the Wedding?

Being prepared for certain things is easier said than done. Take for example the zombie Apocalypse; we all know that it's coming, but I'm sure none of us are prepared. And let's be honest, I was never a girl scout, but I think that being prepared for certain things will make them easier.

Insert wedding photography.
You show up, snap photos, and get paid...it's that simple right?
Ha!

To me, I think there are always a few things your photographer should know about the ceremony beforehand...

1.  Location. Will the wedding be indoors or outdoors? If outdoors, what is your contingency plan if the rain starts to fall? And if you say shoot in the rain, I'm so in love that!

2.  Religion. I'm going to say that 98% of the weddings I have shot have been standard Christian weddings; the one's that we all know and are accustomed to. Even if you are having a standard ceremony, your photographer needs to know! Also, if you are adding in something extra, like a sand ceremony, or something similar - we need to know!

3.  Size. How many are in the wedding party? And why do I have to know this? If you are having a large wedding party, then I need to know in order to bring certain lenses with me; but if it's only the bride and groom and a person on each side, then I do not need certain equipment and don't have to worry about lugging it around.

4.  Pinterest. If you have a certain vision for your wedding, please let us know. And I'm going to be honest here, please don't hate me! I love Pinterest. I like that it's a gathering place of amazing ideas to personalize each wedding, but, you need to realize that recreating each photo seen on Pinterest is going to be difficult. We can replicate the pose, but we cannot replicate the emotion, the exact weather of day - so please bare with us :) 

5. Family dynamics. I come from a crazy mess of divorced parents, so this definitely applied to me. If mama and daddy aren't married, tell your photographer. If mama and daddy don't get along, tell your photographer. If mama and step-mama want to rip each other to shreds, please tell your photographer.


If you think there is something that your photographer should know, just tell them. I can guarantee that you will not be bothering them, the more information we have about your wedding day, the more prepared we can be to tackle family issues (if needed) and provide you with some great photos as well!

Post a Comment