SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Look, We Got Crafty!



Some wonderful fellas that I work with gave me a pallet. I was thrilled. I was planning on making a very large picture frame/picture ledge. These guys loaded the pallet into my car after work one day and I brought it home. Tay took one look at it and decided he needed a coffee table/desk for his new office. As my step-mother put it, "Why does Tay always win?!" Come to think of it, he does...oh well. I actually agree with him, we need a study area for him, so I gave in.

We went to Home Depot and got 3x3's. We got paint. We went to Lowe's and got brackets for support. We bought a hand saw. We were on our way to start our very first crafting experience.




Cutting the wood to make our legs. And yes, we are cheap. We don't have a saw. The hand saw was super cheap and got the job done, no judgment please. Thank you. Then we ventured outside and let the hard work begin. 


We first had to sand it all down to get rid of the splinters and also to make the paint stick a bit better. I was sanding, but picked up the camera for a moment to document the process.


Sanding complete. Time for paint. Since Tay chose what to make, I told him I get to pick the color. Everything in our house is a burnt orange/reddish color. It's my favorite color and I gravitate towards it like crazy. I veered away from it and picked this very random blue. I think it will complement the orange-ish tones throughout the house, hopefully.


While painting, we didn't want to coat it. We liked the little inconsistencies in the wood and thought it added a bit of character. Did I mention that this paint dried super quickly? Amazing!



See, I did help! I actually did everything that Tay did, put someone had to document the process! And please disregard the yoga pants (I don't do yoga, they are just super comfortable), the RUN DMC t-shirt, the glasses from 9th grade and the hair. This was late afternoon and I'd just gotten home from work and all I wanted was comfortable clothes!





 We got some long nails and put the legs on. We then added the screw for extra support. And about 30 seconds after this picture was taken, Tay lost control of the drill and shaved a whole lot of meat off my thumb. I immediately put pressure on it and looked away. Out of sight, out of mind you know. He then looks at me, "Oh God, are you OK? Are you bleeding?" I was afraid to look so I said no, no blood. Then I took pressure off. A geyser of blood in the backyard. Yep. Just at that exact moment, DirectTv decided to call and see if we are happy with our package. Tay, my sweet husband, politely says, "I just accidentally caught my wife with a drill. We are happy with our package, thank you!" I'll spare you a pic of the thumb, but all is well. It stopped bleeding and a trip to the ER was averted. Thank the Lord.




Our first crafting experience. Yes it's sideways, this was before we put the support brackets on there and didn't want to chance breaking our 3 hours of progress. All in all, we are proud. It's level. It's a huge writing surface for Tay. It works. Now to get some glass for the top and there we go.

P.S. What Tay doesn't know is that those nice guys I work with got me another pallet. Here I come picture frame/picture ledge!

Post a Comment