SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Handi-Fat Cart

Today, my Tater left me to go to the Delta for a few days to visit his mama and daddy. I'm happy he gets some family time, but now I'm left alone. Real Housewives here I come! So when I got off work today, I decided to hit Kroger at 5:00. Stupid, I know. I knew what to expect, and totally knew what  I was getting into.

When I pull up, I circle till I see an available spot, like usual. While walking into the store, I'm almost bombarded by someone pulling into a non existent parking spot. Apparently, they think they are handicapped and can park anywhere, even when it's obviously not an available spot! But it's 5:00, maybe they are running in for one thing and running out, so I try not to judge.

Cut to check out.

I get behind the 'handicapped' person. Turns out they are not physically disabled. Just large. And used the 'handi-fat' cart to get around Kroger. I get behind them. Upon ringing up their $200 worth of items, the sweet little checkout lady was informed that by the customer that she didn't have that in her account. Putting a few items away.OK, now the balance is more to her liking.

I'm still patiently my turn. At this point, the 'handi-fat' woman grandsons starts running around the checkout counter, knocking items off the counter, knocking the phone to the floor...looks back at me and tiptoes away. Yep. Then, once the items the woman didn't purchase caught the grandson's attention, he had a fit. He's at least 10 by the way. He then says, 'did we ain't get these? Check the ticket. Check the ticket.'

All the while, they are checked out and free to leave, yet grandmother and her handi-fat cart continue blocking the check out counter. Finally, and God bless the cashier, she asks the handi-fat woman to move. Thank you!

I think the handicapped carts at Wal-Mart, Kroger, and their counterparts do come in handy. I get tired when I'm shopping too. But abusing that, to me, is unacceptable. Just like abusing the handicapped parking spots. My grandmother is well into her 80s and she moves around quite well, but if there is a cart available, she will utilize it. And no, she's not handi-fat. She's just gotten 80 plus years under her belt. She has a handicapped sticker, and only uses it when shopping. She's 80 and doesn't abuse the system. People MUCH younger than her abuse the situation.

Folks, take a cue from my sweet grandmother, use these things when acceptable. Don't abuse it!

Sorry for the rant. But some things honestly get under my skin. I can also find the humor in the situation as well. If you don't laugh at things, you'll just become a bitter, twisted individual. I say try to avoid that, at all costs :)  Start a blog. It's a great way to vent!!

Post a Comment