SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork

Is, by far, the easiest pulled pork to make. It reminds me of those RonCo commercials, "You set it, and forget it!" Which is exactly what I did!

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 300*.

Then you peel an onion, and cut into wedges.
Lay in the bottom of your dutch oven. I (we) got this dutch oven as a wedding present almost three years ago, and today was the first time it ever got used. I loved it. I don't know why I avoided cooking out of it for so long!
Take your pork shoulder (boston butt) out of the wrapper and set on top of the wedged onions. Salt and pepper the heck out of the pork. Try to find a shoulder that is between 5 and 7 lbs.



Then add one can (7-11oz.) of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce - you can find that in the Mexican food section.

Next, you add two cans of Dr. Pepper. It doesn't matter what kind you use. I only used the Dr. Pepper 10 because I had a dollar off coupon.


Next, add two tablespoons of brown sugar.

And it's oven ready!

Throw the lid on and cook for 6 hours. And remember to lay a cookie sheet under the dutch oven. There will be some spillage! Don't say I didn't warn you.

6 hours later = PORK!!!!
Once the pork is cooked, remove from dutch oven, and have your husband fork the meat off the bone and throw back into the juice. Put it back in the oven on a low temp so all the flavors combine. You can do this for 15 minutes or longer, depending on how hungry you are.

The bone, which we thought about giving to Norman, and then thought better of it!


And there you have it. Homemade pulled pork with homemade slaw. If you want to know how to make the slaw, give my mother in  law a call :)

Post a Comment