SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, May 4, 2012

Installing Actions into Photoshop and Photoshop Elements

Have you meet the Pioneer Woman. Ree Drummond? If not, you should look her up. She is fascinating. I love her. I want to be her. I check her blog daily for recipes, Photoshop techniques and everything in between.

Here lately, I have been admiring her editing work on photos. If you have ever edited photos, and I mean really really edit them, you know this can be a time consuming process. Literally, hours and days and weeks have been lost due to the time consuming process of editing photos.

Well, the pioneer woman has saved me! Thanks Ree (I act like I know the woman!) I wish! She and her photoshop minions have developed some actions that allow you to do in-depth edits with the touch of a button. And if you don't like the edit, you can hit the Reset button. Oh simplicity.

There are lots of other actions available out there, but they cost and you can never trust anything you 'buy' on the Internet. These actions are free and install in a jiffy.

The link to the pioneer woman's actions: 

http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/download-files-for-pioneer-woman-actions-elements-version/

When you download these actions, save them in an easily accessible place. I have a folder on my desktop specifically for photography. So I saved them there, and yes, they will be saved as ZIP files, no biggie.

STEP 1: Close Photoshop.
STEP 2: Here is where it gets a bit tricky. You have to show hidden files in Windows. I have Windows 7 and they do not make it easy. But I have, just for you :) Click the Start button. Go to Control Panel. Click Appearance and Personalization. Then click Folder Options. Click the View tab. Under advanced, click Show Hidden Files and Folders. Then click OK.
STEP 3: Now that your hidden files are visible. It's time to move on. Navigate to the folder
"C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Locale\en_US\Workflow Panels\actions." (You have to been in program data, NOT program files, it will not work!) If you do not see the program date file, did you do step 2? It has to be done!
STEP 4: Open up your folder with you actions in them. Select the actions. They are the ATN files. To select more than one at a time, hold down the CTRL key.
STEP 5: Once they are selected, right click, and click copy.
STEP 6: Now just easily paste them into the folder from STEP 3.
That's it! Your actions are now installed in Photoshop Elements.

To access those actions:
Open up Photoshop. Click guided edit. Scroll down till you see actions. Click that. And voila. There is a drop down list of all your actions.


Hopefully this will ease your tensions.
And it's Star Wars day. May the 4th be with you :)



Post a Comment