SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Master Bedroom: Update

Since we've moved into our 1970s ranch, the master bedroom has never felt masterly(?) It has one strangely narrow window that doesn't allow too much light in, electrical outlets are in the strangest place, and so was the cable cord. We easily could have had the cable line moved, but we found out that DirecTv now charges over $100 to move a line...I"ll just tuck it under the carpet myself then, thanks.

I've been racking my brain and slowly trying to transform the master bedroom into the ULTIMATE MASTER RETREAT for the Tater and I (and Norman.) On a cheap budget as well.

Here's the master bedroom before:

Boring, lackluster, doesn't really scream: come snuggle and watch TV. But all that is about to change.

Step one: windows!
I've always wanted patterned curtains, but I never found any that really struck my fancy.
Insert Target. I browsed their curtain section for over an hour comparing prices and patterns and just wasn't having it. I then ventured over to the shower curtain section.

Hello lover. Gorgeous shower curtain for half the price of curtains, but still do the same job. Count me in. So yes, we are using shower curtains as actual curtains. We have no shame.

Cute panels at Target were around $40 per panel! Shower curtains, only $20 per one. You do the math.

Then came the bed. We have a green-ish duvet cover that we bought years ago, but it just wasn't cutting the mustard anymore. Again, insert Target.

While searching though their bedding section, I happily happened upon their clearance bedding.
We have a queen size bed, but I couldn't find a queen duvet on sale :(
BUT, I found a king size duvet (regular price $125) that was on sale for $25.
This, my one or two blog readers, was the Target gods smiling down at me.

When I got home, I told Tater, if you need me, I'll be locked in the bedroom - turning it into a master retreat. Tay said ok :) and went right back to studying.

There were some bumps in the road: knocking the curtain rod out of the wall, Norman constantly jumping on the bed and hindering any progress I made, but in the end, we now have a master bedroom that actually resembles a bedroom.


Forgive the not perfectly made bed, but like I said, I have a 150 pound dog that would not stay off of it. He apparently thought that the new bedding was for him, and who am I to tell him no?

Also, we opted to not use a headboard in this house, but the blank space between the window to the bed was killing me. I have an aversion to blank walls. Blank walls make me think that no one lives there :( I wasn't having any of that!

I've seen similar ideas floating around on the Internet and decided I could easily one-up those other guys. First thing, my name begins with an E. I googled E dictionary pages and found one. Same for Tater's. I then uploaded both photos into Photoshop Elements (an online FREE editor would work as well) and just placed a big T and a big E. Then print. And voila. For the ampersand, I just googled ampersand and weeded through the 6,000+ results.

Dollar store frames and a cheap headboard-ish artwork for blank wall hating self.


Here's a bit of a closer look:

Post a Comment