SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Road Trip!

First of all, let me say, I borrowed these photos...they are not mine - I wish they were, but I have never been to any of the places in the photos.



Monument Valley








Grand Canyon





Bryce Canyon







Arches National Park




But all that is about to change. The Skelton's are going West! Our two year anniversary is coming up and we are going to road trip out West. To us, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey and let me tell you, we are stoked. Yes we know it's a long trip, but we love road trips, love them. Last year for our anniversary, we road tripped from Memphis to Cherokee, N.C. and started at the end of the Blue Ridge Parkway and went all the way to the beginning of it...basically from Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Shenandoah National Park. It was only 469 miles, but the speed limit was 45, but you were in the mountains and getting your car to 45 was impossible. Once we finished the Parkway, we drove to D.C., visited some friends and then drove home...approximately 17 hours in one day. Let's just say Red Bull became our best friend on that trip :) We are familiar with road trips.


We are so excited. It's amazing to me that we can get on the interstate that is ten minutes from our house(I-40) and it literally runs all the way to our destination. No turns, no nothing. Just get on the interstate and go.


We had many a 'heated' debate about where to go. He mentioned Disney World, I mentioned Wyoming and Yellowstone. He mentioned Ohio and Cedar Point Theme Park. I thought about Orlando...(I'm dying to see Hogwarts, dying!)...We could not decide. It got to the point where we had to put our destinations in a hat and draw...and well, the West won. How fitting.


Now comes the hard part. What to see? Here's my list:

Grand Canyon, Arches National Park, Monument Valley, Rainbow Bridge, the Continental Divide, Hoover Dam, Mesa Verde, Bryce Canyon...and of course Winslow, AZ. If you don't know, look it up.


But what have I missed? I like to semi plan our trips. Basically just get a working knowledge of where gas stations are and hotels and go. We never actually plan anything ahead of time. Ever. That's just how we are. But I know I've missed some things. If you've been out West, lend me hand and let me know where to go. Please.


Oh, and check back...the trip is tentatively planned for September.

Post a Comment