SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, October 2, 2017

Schiefer | Senior Session | Mississippi Senior Photographer

A few weeks ago I received it a phone call. I don't remember much of the conversation other than "my son wants to put a piano in a cotton field." My heart stopped. I immediately agreed, without really hearing any more of the conversation!

I don't typically shoot seniors. I shoot things that make me happy; kids, families, weddings, but I couldn't resist this opportunity. 

One thing that is prominent in the Delta this time of year is cotton. So my client's mother and I both started calling every single farmer we knew. The bulk of the cotton wouldn't be ready until October, but our calendars wouldn't allow an October shoot. Others had cotton ready, but wouldn't allow us to put a piano in their field; which is completely understandable.

Reassess.

Every Saturday, I ride my boys around (and pray for naps) and scout new locations. I happened upon a gorgeous field of cotton. But didn't know who farmed it. As a photographer, I always try to get permission to shoot in a location, especially if it's someones crops and their livelihood. I put out a desperate plea on Facebook...within minutes, I had a phone call. My friend knew who farmed the cotton and was more than willing to allow us to put a piano in it. I think his exact words were, "They are more than welcome to try. I'd love to see them try to get a piano in a cotton field."

Well, we did it.

Schiefer is the young man you pray your children grow into. He's smart, athletic, a musician, a singer, and so much more. He sets a great example for all those around him. I asked his mama if I could adopt him. She said she was pretty attached and couldn't do it. Well, I tried.

2 comments :