SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Wedding Day Info and Hints

Photographing a wedding is a big job.
Tremendous.
The bride and groom have so much on their minds.
The details.
The food.
The eternal love :)

Sometimes, clients forget. They forget to tell me that great aunt Edna flew in all the way from Toronto. And then I don't get the picture of aunt Edna.
And I feel like poo.

When you hire me to photograph/document your wedding, here are some things you need to know:

I am a professional. No, I didn't do not have a degree in photography, but I spent six years of my life in college. If I can handle graduate level statistics (and pass), then your wedding will be a cake walk! Do not stress about photography. I'm going to get the shots that you asked for and then the unexpected one's too. 

When I schedule a wedding, I like to meet the bride beforehand; rather that be in the form of engagement photos, bridal portraits, or just a quick chat on the phone. I like to find out your expectations...are you a serious bride that wants serious photos, or are you a bit more laid back and just want me to wing it? Either way, it can be done.

This leads me to my next point, if there are certain photos that you want and they are not necessarily in the photographer's Rolodex of wedding ideas; you must let me know. I'm all about bringing my own props and ideas, but if your Pinterest page is chock-full of those off the wall wedding ideas - let's discuss them! 

I like to arrive AT LEAST 2 HOURS before the ceremony. If the ceremony starts at 6:00 PM, guests will start being seated by 5:30 at the latest...they can't see the bride! By me arriving approximately 2 hours before the ceremony ensures that we get the necessary wedding party photographs out of the way and can focus on the bride and groom and the fun of the reception.

Now let's discuss the first look. If you and the groom want to see each other before the ceremony and have a 'first look,' let's do it! I love the whole premise of it and breaking tradition is fun! If seeing each other before the ceremony is not your thing, no worries, I've shot both types and am comfortable doing either...as long as you let me know beforehand so that I can be prepared.

Another thing to help out your photographer?
If we didn't do any bridal portraits and you would like a snap or two of just your wedding gown; don't get dressed  - let me take a photo or two of your dress!

The biggest help to all photographers?
A list.
And someone who monitors that list.

I did a wedding earlier this year. There were many words to describe it, but my favorite...organized.
There was a great woman with a list. When a shot was needed, she asked me, I shot it, she marked it off the list. Be still my beating heart. An organized 'wedding coordinator.' 



 





Post a Comment